Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Town's Trust
Truth!
Wait, wait, wait! Don't you all know that our enemies can read these pages too!?! ...I jest. I was in anxious anticipation for this to be stated and after it managed  to go for this long without it being said, well, I just couldn't resist.  I'll save the discourse on how people are licking the ink off these pages, trying to discern deeper meaning, for the stack a little to the side of this one.

What I would like to give you, is a statement of facts and maybe an opinion or two for the mere joy of it. We've tried a taxless town; it was Tempesta's garden, for obvious reasons.

Under Mayor Grog's authority, in an attempt to levy favor for the townsfolk that he cared immensely about, we went to a voluntary donation system, which led to only those with the most philanthropic view to contribute. It worked, in a way. In the process, the pecuniary scales shifted. The ones who worked the hardest, who began as richer than some minor monarchs, became destitute, while the hoarders grew fat and content, supping on the delicacies that always seem to come to this humble settlement and imbibing our fine liquors. In his wisdom, Grog saw this and changed the system to compulsory taxation, but we had a stipend coming in from King Henry, so as the gold was given out in one line, taxes were being collected in another. Costs for things the town needed were offset, support was incoming, a system was being developed to outfit the town guard with armor and weapons, healers with potions, poisons for those inclined to use them. The town knew relative prosperity. Then Mayor Grog was deposed and Mayor Kaeya took over. Now, anybody who knew Kaeya, also knew she was about as shrouded in the Dark as they come. She fled the town, absconding with the entirety of the towns coffers, which was a hefty sum at this point. Which my brother noted earlier, we need to think about the security of the collections and not just from the enemy without, but the enemy within.

Moulder, my friend, What Scout has told as an example has happened in actuality. What was being purchased is of no consequence now, but the seller demanded gold and no small amount of it. We couldn't procure it fast enough. At the time of the transfer, uncut gems of equal value were offered as substitute. Equal value to you or I, but not the seller, no. He casually tossed those gems across the tavern as if they were carrion.

I for one, will joyously toss my gold into the trust box for the good of all.

-Khan
i see... i feel I've gone to far to simple apologize for what i did.
(04-15-2017, 01:56 PM)Shad0monks Wrote: i see... i feel I've gone to far to simple apologize for what i did.

Nay, my friend. You needn't apologize for asking questions about the things that affect your well being, that affect OUR well being and offering solutions to possible problems that may come up. I feel as if you've done no harm.

-Khan
i mean for causing and escalating the the argument
Moulder, I really hope you know I mean no ill intent. I'm just trying to tell you of examples as to why we would need gold more than other things as you suggested. I truly hope I didn't come across as rude to you.
If I was, I offer to purchase what you have in order to donate to the towns trust.
I hope this will help the both of us and also the town.
Agreed but may I add that not everything needs to turn into a debate. People grow weary of meaningless debates fairly quickly , myself included. I am not proud of how brash I came across on here. Even AFTER several examples were given , still the debate went on.
Still seeing the arguing, I've it's not constructive, don't pin it to the boards. Also thank you Khan for your input.