Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magistrate
The first appointed Magistrate for Rowan's Crossing will be Ryanor Allegeri.

The expected job of the Magistrate:

Be available for towns members and inquire & investigate claims of nefarious deeds.

Magistrate along with their marshals will inform and enforce the town laws. As of right now the offial writing of the laws are being written. I just wanted to inform the town on who to speak to if they wish to report anything. 

As for the Magistrates duty when it comes to laws that are broken here is the break down on how it will be handled. 

Light Crimes -
Magistrate would act as judge, jury and executioner along side his marshals on low crime matters.

High Crimes - 
Magistrate would act as judge and executioner and the council will act as jury on these crime matters. 

As a clarification here is what my notes on the laws look like as of now.

High Crimes 
-------------------------------------------
Murder.
Kidnapping/Slavery..
Taking action to harm the town (Conspiracy, treason, aiding dark beings)
Destruction of Artifacts and Lore.
Falsely Accusing someone of murder or any other high crime

Low Crimes 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assault.
Burglary/Theft.
Forgery/Counterfeiting.
Fraud.
Withholding crucial information or knowledge from the town.
Falsely accusing someone of a low crime/ Slander

Magistrates is expected to keep extensive records on what the town reports to him and any information they gather on investigations. 

When Raynor is ready he is going to announce his Marshals. 

Congratulations Raynor
(12-06-2016, 04:34 PM)cholehedgehog Wrote: The first appointed Magistrate for Rowan's Crossing will be Ryanor Allegeri.

The expected job of the Magistrate:

Be available for towns members and inquire & investigate claims of nefarious deeds.

Magistrate along with their marshals will inform and enforce the town laws. As of right now the offial writing of the laws are being written. I just wanted to inform the town on who to speak to if they wish to report anything. 

As for the Magistrates duty when it comes to laws that are broken here is the break down on how it will be handled. 

Light Crimes -
Magistrate would act as judge, jury and executioner along side his marshals on low crime matters.

High Crimes - 
Magistrate would act as judge and executioner and the council will act as jury on these crime matters. 

As a clarification here is what my notes on the laws look like as of now.

High Crimes 
-------------------------------------------
Murder.
Kidnapping/Slavery..
Taking action to harm the town (Conspiracy, treason, aiding dark beings)
Destruction of Artifacts and Lore.
Falsely Accusing someone of murder or any other high crime

Low Crimes 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assault.
Burglary/Theft.
Forgery/Counterfeiting.
Fraud.
Withholding crucial information or knowledge from the town.
Falsely accusing someone of a low crime/ Slander

Magistrates is expected to keep extensive records on what the town reports to him and any information they gather on investigations. 

When Raynor is ready he is going to announce his Marshals. 

Congratulations Raynor
Revenly, to help Porthose with a question, someone was nice enough to repost a series of competent well thought out laws.
Why not use those?

You already picked a few of them for your notes.

Think of the time you will save.
Hiya everyone in town!
I figured I might as well post this here publicly, rather than send private courier. Because I'm not just looking for our Magistrate's consideration, but everyone in town's as well!

In light of current events, I have found myself more interested in taking up a position in aiding the town that isn't exactly as a part of this Council. I'd like to one day be Magistrate, but I have to start somewhere right? So I was hoping I could put myself out there for consideration as a Marshal!

I know most everyone in town, new and old - and I like to think most people know me! I'm easy to find and am available ALL the time (even when I'm asleep!). I'm open to criticism, I'm open to listen, and I'm open to flexibility in change. What I offer though, outside of those, is a new way to handle law and punishment.

I know the way of things is typically - kill them or fine them. And I mean, that's well and fine, but I think we can get a liiiiittle more creative!

I'd like to implement new punishments! Never the same and varying on severity of crime, things like:

- If a person is caught stealing, their gold is given to goblins. They can choose to fight for their shinies, or let them go!

- Wearing "I hate trolls" signs and having to take a short walk through the woods. (Or any variation of sign)

- Those executed for high crimes must write an apology letter to Death for wasting their time

- Having to shout out no less than 3 skeleton based puns during skeleton attacks (variations when needed)

- If you can't get along, you will hold hands for a predetermined amount of time (even if a fight breaks out). If anyone asks why you're holding hands you must respond with "Because we love each other."

- Those that commit high crimes that don't call for execution can't talk to anyone. They are ghosts. They must act like ghosts for a predetermined amount of time. They can only talk to other ghosts.

I've got plenty of other ideas, punishments are certainly not limited to those listed above. I just figured I'd give you all an idea of how I, personally, would handle things. If anyone has any questions, feel free to write to me! And if you don't agree with me, I promise not to arrest you based on your right to opinion! 

Thanks all!!
Similar punishments have been brought up in the past, and do seem to work better than fines or death.
Ransom, you are just the kind of leadership we need!
The cow bell of shame was a great threat, as was the troll date.
Embarrassment is a much better punishment zan death, in most cases.
Ironic embarrassment is even better.
Or just confiscate all their magic items and death tokens.
Ransom you know I would vote for you!